Holiday Traditions

Holiday+Traditions

Margo Dulny, Staff Writer

Every year people hope the snowfall will stick to the ground, sitting by the fireplace to keep them warm, and reacquainting themselves with the people we can call family on Christmas Day. Families from all over the world celebrate their own original and and unoriginal traditions. Even celebrating Halloween on Christmas is a tradition to some.

A survey was given out to four different classes to learn about any unique traditions students celebrate during the holidays.

A student’s family takes pride in the ornaments they collect every year. She said, “My family collects Santa’s. We have over 100 Santa’s that are spread around my house. My brother and I pick out a new ornament to put on the big tree every year.”

One student with a unique tradition said, “We have a pickle that we hide in the tree and all the cousins look for it and get money. Plus, my Meme [grandma] keeps Christmas decorations up inside all year.”

One other student said, “My mom always makes a trail of candy canes from my room to the tree and she always puts pajamas out for us on Christmas Eve.”

According to the surveys which were completed, 92% of the students celebrate Christmas while the other students celebrate either a different holiday or no holiday at all during the winter. Among those who do celebrate Christmas, 32% report a well-known tradition: celebrating on Christmas Eve.

One student said, “We open pajamas on Christmas Eve, and put Baby Jesus in the manger on Christmas Day, and eat breakfast Christmas morning.”

Another student celebrates Hanukkah instead of Christmas, however their family has different traditions than those who celebrate Hanukkah traditionally.

“Hanukkah] happens to be over Christmas this year! [We] don’t do all eight days, we do one or two,” the students said.

Christmas, traditionally a Christian holiday honors the birth of Jesus, but even non-believers celebrate the holiday. In 2014, 70.6% of the American population identified themselves as Christians. But only 9% of the students said they celebrate Christmas for their faith. 21% of those students said they celebrate for their families.

One student said, “I actually celebrate the meaning of the holiday because I love Jesus and [I] am not lukewarm with my faith.”

Another who celebrates for her faith said, “We have Christian values with the non-Christian values. Our Christmas is important due to our religion.”

Another student who also considers Christmas as an important time said, “We take our time opening presents and instead have more family time. Because it is more about the reason than the object.”

A student that values family as well said, “I have a big family so we always do a secret Santa with all us grandkids. I love coming together as a family and seeing their smile when they open gifts.”

Margo Dulny // Staff Writer