Olathe East Student Journalism

Olathe East News

Olathe East Student Journalism

Olathe East News

Olathe East Student Journalism

Olathe East News

Chiefs Game Coldness
Chiefs Game Coldness
Abby Herman, Staff Writer • February 2, 2024
Senior Ads
December 14, 2023
Winter Band Concert
December 14, 2023
12.7
December 7, 2023
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Cultural Exposure in Education

Although schools offer many diverse classes such as Black History and Women’s Studies, there seems to be a lack of cultural education on the offered spectrum. Not to say that the education of civil rights and Black history isn’t important, but granted, other cultural struggles are equally important but insufficient as there are only brief talks about other cultures’ pasts and many events swept under the rug that are of relevance to today’s present. 

Progress has clearly been made in the education system, with less censoring and more civil talks about real-world problems, but even so, the range students are offered could be wider. Minorities of minorities question their own past as it is not taught in schools, and it is frustrating not knowing about one’s own history.

Racism towards these minorities is even brushed off as jokes, invalidating and normalizing prejudiced actions and words. Harmful stereotypes are also seen as humorous, and those minorities are told to “stop overreacting”. Not only does this further the “justification” of these racist comments, but without prevention or acknowledgment, it will worsen. School staff turn their heads when a minority tells them of these comments, whereas when more “serious” slurs are said, they are taken with full seriousness.

In an environment where kids are simply there to learn, so much prejudice and racism has grown and rattles many students, dwelling in their now internal racism and questioning themselves. It’s almost as if those minorities stand alone. 

Much can be done within districts such as exposure to these cultures and normalization, but of course, it will be far from easy in the progress as so much racism has already built up; deteriorating it will take years. Still, it is progress that is necessary.