Olathe East Student Journalism

Olathe East News

Olathe East Student Journalism

Olathe East News

Olathe East Student Journalism

Olathe East News

Chiefs Game Coldness
Chiefs Game Coldness
Abby Herman, Staff Writer • February 2, 2024
Senior Ads
December 14, 2023
Winter Band Concert
December 14, 2023
12.7
December 7, 2023
Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

OE Soccer headed to State Championship

OE Soccer headed to State Championship

The 2023-24 Olathe East soccer team has greatly succeeded so far this season. The team defeated Blue Valley West on October 26th, 4-0 with goals scored by Aidan Boehmer, Caden Pfeil, and Matt Hosty. This game crowned the team regional champions. More recently on October 31st, the Hawks played Shawnee Mission East, having lost to them earlier in the season 1-0, the Hawks overcame this and defeated them 1-0 in four overtimes. At the last second, Senior, Dylan Segovia scored the game-winning goal, advancing the team to the semi-finals. This year has come with some coaching changes, but the team has adjusted greatly, and the boys are making a run for state. The team is currently 15-4 in the season, having only lost to Olathe West, Shawnee Mission East, Dodge City, and Shawnee Mission West. The Hawks are currently on a 4 game-win streak. The team is currently in the postseason, the team needs just one more win to make it to state. Last year, the soccer team was coached by Mr. Lawson. This year with some changes, the team is now coached by Mr. O’Grady. The team has improved a ton since the beginning of the season. O’Grady says, “We have gotten better as a team. We are more efficient at set pieces and in transition. Our passing is definitely better than it was at the beginning of the season.” 

Senior, and Captain, Aidan Boehmer has been working hard this season and has done an excellent job leading the team. This is Boehmer’s third year as captain Boehmer says “It feels great that my teammates voted me as captain, I always take that as a privilege and an honor to be able to lead my team, I’m glad I’m able to do it again this year.” Boehmer is committed to Lipscomb University in Nashville, TN for soccer. Boehmer is one of the top scorers at OE, having scored 15 goals this season. His leadership helps lead the team to victory after victory.  The Hawks will play this upcoming weekend, on Friday at 4 P.M. in Topeka, in hopes of advancing to the state championship on Saturday at 3 P.M. to show everyone what they have been working incredibly hard for. 

Edit: The Hawks won 1-0.